Russells Ride 2010, Australia

Hello, my name is Russell Nurse.

This year's ride is a follow up of my first long distance dirt and tar ride last year.

We (my son Karl and I) traveled 8300km in 16 days on a pair of DR 650s and afterward I found I really had the bug.

The Donahue and Plenty Highways, the Tanami Desert, Wolf Creek Crater , the Kimberleys, Birdsville & Innamincka were no longer just places on a map and I'm itching to get going again.

Last year was about learning (lessons like running out of fuel on the Tanami or getting water in our fuel) fortunately we had vehicular support.

This year I've got a new side kick (my eldest son Luke) and we're doing it without support. On the agenda is Menindee, Tibooburra, Camerons Corner, Lyndhurst, Oodnadatta, Mt Dare, Dalhousie, Purni Bore, Finke, The Olgas and The Rock, Jervois, Boulia, Bedourie, Cordillo Downs and more.

I'll be blogging my way, as internet access permits so subscribe to the Two Wheel Touring Newsletter (see side bar) to follow my progress.

WebWork by...

WebWork by...
Peacock Digital

TwoWheelTouring Subscribe

Visitors to date

20 June, 2010
Stats from Garmin etrex vista h :
 
Trip Distance  6508km
 
Time moving 68 hours 37 minutes
 
Average speed while moving 94.8 kph
 
The Good, The Bad , The Ugly.
 
The Good.
Suzuki DR 650
My bike has more than 20000km on the clock at least 10000km have been on some of the worst roads in Australia.
So far the chain guard broke and the horn doesnt work. These really are tough bikes.
 
B&B Bash plate and rack. Bash Plate has saved the cases twice but shows very little damage. Rack is well made and very strong.
 
Barker busters - legendary.
 
Garmin GPS - two years under the belt no problems.
 
The Bad
F*#king rim locks.(And trying to balance wheels).
I dont know where to start on this. The adventure riding magazines and websites all push for knobby tyres and rim locks.
Last year my rear tyre was worn out before I got to the Tanami. I'm not sure if I'm riding the same tracks and roads as everyone else but central australia is about hard rocky roads, tarmac and sand. There are no loamy soft dirt tracks with steep hills so I see no advantage in knobbies and only disadvantage.
My choice for next year is no rim lock an Avon Distanzia tyre (in which I will run a tube, it's designed as tubeless) and no less than 20psi
The Avon is extremely solid in the side walls and has a vert tight bead so I dont think the DR will spin it on the rim.
I was using the Distanzia this year with a rim lock which caused uneven wear.
The tyre itself has outstanding performance and at no stage or on any surface were Luke's knobby tyres a match.
 
Busting my Airhawk air seat. No comfort on this trip just a sore bum.
 
The Ugly
Carrying fuel in containers
I don't like doing it and I am going to find a better way.
 

0 comments: